Old February 29th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Howard[_2_] Howard[_2_] is offline

Default Astounding. that's the only word for it...

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:26:47 GMT, m II wrote:

David wrote:

Probably be hard in a " blind shortwave test" to differentiate between
this one an R8 & an Icom R75

Do you feel the R75 is as good for utility listening as it's cracked up
to be? Any experience with the digital sound module for that set?

mike

For utilities it's great. Mine was bought used with Kiwa mods and
additional narrow filters for SSB, though in reality the filters are
narrower than I've neede. Have considered pulling them and getting
decent wide filters for AM, though in reality the amount of time I
spend listening I'm not ready to spend the bucks. In many cases I'll
do the ECSS thing and get sound quality a bit better than in AM or
AM-Synch. I've never done an A-B test with an R8 so I can't comment
on how they two would stack up, though knowing Drake I do believe
anyone who says they find the Drake audio notably better. BY digital
sound module do you mean the voice synthesisor (sp?) or the DSP? The
DSP is okay - more effective the NIR-10 I used to use on my ham
xceivers but it didn't knock my socks off. Overall a good radio in
it's price class.