Old February 29th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Astounding. that's the only word for it...

Radioguy wrote:
Yes, I agree. Side by side there would probably be a few situations
where each of those receivers would excel by a small margin on HF.
The 9500 might be a bargain if measured by the price-per-button.

The 9500 is a bargain if you have the money and want that extra
margin in the situations it excels at. If it makes the difference
between having every possible DXCC country in your log and not,
or getting that one extra contact for a contest, it's worth it.

Since this is an SWL group, let's face it, that extra margin is probably
of no concern to an SWL. In the real world a $200 portable with a $5
wire probably will "bag" you 95% of what is out there when it is there,
so the difference in price does not buy you much.

Did you know there is a ham out there with a 20m (14mHz) 10 element
beam antenna? I'm sure he could use one. :-) If you don't know the
math, my 11 element 2m beam antenna was 6 feet wide, by 12 feet long.
Multiply that by 10.

At least they made the thing look and feel like a radio, instead of
an expensive VoIP box.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/