Old March 7th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

Brenda Ann wrote:
"James" no wrote in message
Who makes a good outdoor, omni-directional fm antenna ?

I prefer to use RG6 as the lead in, and I definitely need an
omni-directional antenna.

Radio Shack used to make a dual element, folded dipole outside fm antenna,
but I don't find it on their website.

Thanks for any tips !!

James

I'll probably get flamed here... but there is really no such thing as a good
omnidirectional FM antenna. None of them have any multipath rejection
whatsoever, and since multipath is most likely what you're trying to
alleviate, you're just as likely as not to end up with just as bad a signal
(stronger, yes, but no less garbled and noisy) as you would have with your
indoor antenna. In fact, a cheap pair of rabbit ears will usually outperform
one of those turnstiles, unless you live in a perfectly flat area with no
surrounding tall structures.

CP FM has inherent multipath rejection. I have a 4 element slightly
directional Winegard FM only antenna pointing South. I stll get
stations from all around, but I can get virtually every FM station in
Los Angeles and San Diego quite nicely.