Old March 8th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default Clipperton Island Update

Per F6AOJ: sat phone call: mega storm, some ant down, will start at sunrise eu, with
only a part of equip. 2114z

dxAce wrote:

8 March

"Turns out it was very much yesterday today than it was the day before. The clouds
that were present at dawn disappeared by 7am allowing for the full force of the
south pacific sun to express itself. By 10:30am, it was 110 degrees at our base
camp and hotter at the CW station. The heat has compounded our work load and Arnie,
N6HC had his hands full dealing with sunburns and mandatory work and water breaks
every 30 minutes to ensure each team member's safety. By 1pm the heat was so
intense our work pace drew to a crawl. With safety being our main concern, we cut
back our work loads until it was bearable later in the day to resume. By mid
afternoon, some cloud appeared and we were able to continue erecting our antennas
and complete our operating stations. Both the cw and ssb camp are very near
completion. the few antennas remaining to be erected at daybreak.

We are approximately 24 hours behind our intended schedule, but believe now that the
majority of the work is behind us with the remaining antenna erection to be
completed at daybreak while temperatures are bearable. We anticipate being on the
air with both CW and SSB stations by midday.

At 1800z, we're very close to coming on the air."

http://www.clipperton2008.org/dxpedi...dxpedition.htm