Old March 9th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

Mark Zenier wrote:
In article ,
JBorg, Jr. wrote:
Then went to Fry's and bought a rotor with wire-dial control, a
pole (2) and RG6 cable (I'm sure) at high-end store. Then installed
them on the roof by fastening on the chimney and came down to listen.

If there is such thing as miracle on the roof, THIS is IT.

I caught so many stations that I begun to loose count after 105.
I first started listing them one at the time earnestly for the next 4 or 5
days, and then got tired. If I turn the antenna's rotor using the control
at, say, 180 degrees, I'd get an altogether different station -- in the
same dial! They're all clear except when it's overcast. The stations
that comes clear nearby, comes clearer. I get stations from as far as
75 to 100 miles and perhaps farther than I care to know. I dreaded it
each time I came accross and saw this (unfinished) list 'cause I feel
guilty. I really don't wanna do that anymore.

Let the FCC computer make the list for you. Get your latitude/longitude
in Degrees/Minutes/Seconds notation and go to the FCC web site
(www.fcc.gov), link to the Media Bureau section and find the license
database search page for FM. (They have ones for TV and AM, too).

Enter in your location and the maximum distance, and the search page
will give you a list of the stations (in a bunch of different formats).
The lists give the bearing and distance to each station from your
location.

Mark Zenier

www.fccinfo.com is easier