Old March 10th 08, 04:54 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner.uk,rec.radio.scanner,uk.radio.amateur,alt.ph.uk
You You is offline

Default req antenna recommedations - up to 3GHz

In article
,
"alexander.keys1" wrote:

On Feb 26, 11:49 am, "Greg" wrote:
I'm a newbie upgrading to a 3GHz scanning system so I'm no looking round
for recommedations and feedback on antennas that perform
up to 3GHz. I would rather spend extra for a professional level antenna
than go for a cheaper option. The AOR DA5000 looks good
but I'd appreciate any tips before I start shelling out money. I'm
currently scanning with a D130 discone which works well but it
only goes up to 1300MHz. Thanks for any advice.

You will be lucky if you pick up ANYTHING worth listening to above 400Mhz

There's alot around 400-500 as steve terry said in his reply,
and around 800-1000 there's alot of analogue repeaters,
shortrange stereo wireless/headphone, and cordless phones

Also there are point-to-point links above 1000MHz, used between base
stations and hilltop radio sites. You can spot these on masts by the
horizontal plastic tubes pointing outwards, these contain a long Yagi.
The small elements for these wavelengths are more affected by wind &
rain, hence the protective tube.

AFAIK these carry plain FM voice if it's a single-channel link, multi-
channels using subcarriers also exist.

Actually, Most of these antennas you describe are Circularly Polarized,
Helix antennas, inside the RayDomes.