Old March 11th 08, 08:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Attenuation Questions

" There's no mechanism within any common type of RF connector which causes
any significant amount of loss. Various types can cause some impedance
mismatch, but not enough to cause a noticeable reduction of signal to the
receiver.

Since the OP was asking about frequencies up to 1GHz, I would be more
cautious about losses in connectors. Poorly assembled connectors can show
significant losses at 1GHz. Also I have come across connectors and adaptors
(SMA) that show loss for no apparent reason at a Gig or so., now whether
this is due to dielectric losses or some other factor I am not sure but
mechanically they appeared to be prefect. One particular SMA barrel had a
stable and repeatable loss of over 2dB, but was clean and gauged OK.

Some of the cheap PL259 connectors also use very poor dielectric which show
significant loss at even VHF.

Regards
Jeff