Old March 11th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default Attenuation Questions

Hello,

First, let me say thanks to everyone for the replies and help.
New at this, and it seems these very basic questions of mine keep coming up
the more I look into it.
Great hobby, and really do appreciate the help, very much.
Super newsgroup for folks like me. Sure is a lot to learn re antennas;
reading the ARRL book on it now.

Would like to modify my question somewhat.
Was really surprised to learn about the copper on steel, vs all copper
center conductors on coax.
I thought the difference were only in types of shielding; not center
conductor construction, and that RG6, e.g., was RG6, at least concerning
attenuation and perhaps "quality". Guess not ?

I understand, and am aware of now, the skin effect depth
Will read up on it some more.

Question: any meaningful difference for the sw frequencies; say from 0.5 to
30 MHz ?
I have a sw receiving set also, and frankly, when i strung my coax for it, I
never considered the center conductor coax's construction.

Should I have, possibly ?

Thanks again,
Bob

-------------------

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello,

Would you expect to see, in a practical sense, and meaningful difference
between RG6 with a copper plated steel center conductor vs an all copper
one, going from the antenna to a receiving scanner (50 foot run; 1 GHz
max).

Tried to find some attenuation tables for this in Google, but had no luck:
Plenty for the coax cables themselves, but might you know of any chart
links that show attenuation for the different types of connectors ?

Thanks,
B.