Old March 12th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dale Parfitt[_3_] Dale Parfitt[_3_] is offline

Default From NEC2 to the real world with accuracy

wrote in message
Hi,

So I've spent months, rather years, carefully designing a new 5 band
cubical quad for myself. I've always known that I would use #12 solid
copper wire (not stranded), so that is what I used when running NEC2
to optimize this touchy antenna design (over millions of iterations).

Well, real world things are starting to happen. For wire, I've decided
what I would like to use is an enameled coated copperweld wire. I'll
buy the plain copperweld wire and coat it myself.

I think I would spend the extra money and buy copper wire. One nick in your
coating and the copper surface and the wire will disappear. If you must use
copperweld, try The Wireman or The RF Connection for copperweld that has a
high density black polyethylene jacket.

I would hate to spend all the time to design and build a quad and then have
the wire be the weakest link.

Dale W4OP