Old March 12th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Pete KE9OA Pete KE9OA is offline

Default Astounding Again.....

Using a Boonton Model 103D rf generator into a 50 Ohm thru load, the R8
easily hears signals at a 0.15uV level across the whole tuning range, preamp
off. This is using the "hard" measurement technique that results in a more
conservative measurement vs the "soft" measurement technique that the
Japanese manufacturers use in order to make their numbers appear better.
Every Icom radio I have ever used/measured is a brick on the MW range, until
you remove the full-time 10dB attenuator that they always seem to use. After
you remove the attenuator, Icom radios aren't too bad, except for the audio
quality.
Yes, I have two Icom receivers..........the R-72 and the R-75. The R-72 has
better sounding audio quality, but the IMD performance isn't in the same
league as the R-75. Opinions? No......................just hard lab data.

Pete

"SW4ever" wrote in message
R8B manual shows sensitivity on AM as 1.5 microvolt nominal...100
-30,000 Khz with preamp Off. and less than 1.0 microvolt with preamp
on. What does 'less than' indicate as to actual value ? R8B is a great
receiver, but R9500 is broad spectrum and in my opinion overall is a
better receiver, BUT here we go--lots of opinions coming.
To each his own, and time and a plethora of reviews probably won't
change too many minds. I am continuing my perusal of the PDF manual
and am really impressed. Icom, I believe has come up with a real
classic receiver. QST reviewer calls it "the best reciever I've ever
used" (January 2008 Issue.)

dxAce wrote:
SW4ever wrote:

Icom R9500 operating manual, almost 150 pages,available as a PDF file
at: http://www.radioworld.ca
Jan. 2008 QST ran a product review, and astonishing AM sensitivities
were shown, as follows:
At 1 MHZ 2.8 microvolts Preamp Off
0.82 microvolts Preamp 1 On
0.52 microvolts Preamp 2 On
However some confusion arises with AM sensitivity shown as 6.3
microvolts from .01-1.8 Mhz, still impressive. This latter sounds more
like it, but if 1 Mhz figures above are right. what an awesome AM
broadcast receiever !!

I just grabbed the manual for the R8B and at least according to that it
certainly has better sensitivity than the R9500.