Old March 14th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
WA6LZH WA6LZH is offline

Default stability Sx100

On Feb 9, 11:06 am, "COLIN LAMB" wrote:
Hallicrafters had some very competent engineers, and they solved the
mechanical problem of the SX-100. Their solution was the SX-101. It is
clear that they needed to add both depth and weight to solve the problem.

Consider the SX-100 as the Narrows Bridge (Galloping Gertie). The SX-101
was the replacement.

73, Colin K7FM

I have considered replacing the steel cables with regular dial cord. I
have not got around to it yet but I think the idea has merit. One can
only describe the mechanical instability/microphonics as "Guitar
String" like. Otherwise the tuning capacitor layout is similar to
other receivers of the era.

Tony