Old March 15th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics
Mark Mark is offline

Default Do receiver antennas need matching or not?

Note: *For many LNA designs, the best signal/noise ratio occurs at an
impedance that is close to, but not really, a perfect conjugate match. *
The signal is coupled to the amplifier best at the conjugate match
impedance, but sometimes the noise is enhanced even more.

That brings up an intersting question I never did get a good answer
to...

It is my assertion that an LNA that is physically at room temperature
(290K) can have a noise figure no better than 3 dB (i.e. its effective
noise temperature is 290K) IF it is also conjugatly matched i.e.
looks like 50 Ohms.

Yes you can make the noise figure better than 3 dB, but then you must
either cool the device or MISMATCH it to the line.

In other words if it looks like 50 Ohms and it is physically at 290 K,
it's effective noise temperature must also be 290K.

How could it be otherwise?

Comments plese.

Mark