Old March 16th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default Incoming radio wave polarisation

On Mar 16, 12:55 am, Owen Duffy wrote:
"AI4QJ" wrote :

Are you talking about the possibility of Art communicating with other
people who are transmitting on similar helical circularly polarized
antennas where CW vs CCW direction must be considered? I dismissed

If this is his compact wonder, it is probably not an axial mode helical.
(I don't know that one could ever describe an axial mode helical as
'compact'.)

Normal mode helicals deliver linear polarisation.

this possibility entirely. Most hams's signals arrive either veritcal,
norizontal or somewhere in between (not rotating) originating at a
linear polarized source. Is he communicating with satellites? I really
haven't heard of helix antennas on the HF bands other than the Unwin
compact model. If so, then yes, you can only switch the feedpoint to

Normal mode helicals are commonly used on HF.

change from CW to CCW and that can make a BIG difference in gain. The
probability of Art finding another HF helical to QSO with should be
negligible to null. Satellites are another matter.

Owen

See recent posting on E ham
Art