Old March 18th 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

Default A BETTER SPEAKER

"RJ" wrote in message

The speaker in my pocket radio leaves alot to be desired.

I'd like to plug a larger speaker into the earphone jack.

As I remember it, though, audio impedance on these radios
is about 40 ohms.... an 8 ohm speaker wouldn't match up.

Been a very long time since I've seen a speaker in a pocket radio that used
an odd impedence like that. The main issue is the power output of those
little buggers is down around 30mW, so you need a pretty efficient speaker.
Something like a 4" speaker out of an old table radio would work, but don't
expect booming bass out of it. I had a speaker that came from a drive-in
movie that did an upgrade when I was a kid, and plugged it into my Juliette
pocket radio. It made a huge difference in sound quality. Of course, radio
stations sound like warmed over crap now compared to what they did in the
mid 60's...