Old March 19th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jim Jim is offline

Default Schematic Drawing Software - Something simple with no steep learning curve

Jim wrote:

Can anyone recommend a simple schematic drawing CAD program, not one
of the "do everything" programs that draws living rooms and
skyscrapers, looking for a schematic-only program that does not have
too steep a learning curve, and doesn't cost too much or is freeware
or shareware that won't cost an arm or a leg.

What programs do you use and what are your likes/dislikes/wish list?

I'm trying to settle on something that I will probably only use
occasionally to draw schematics of homebrew projects to file away or
possibly submit for publication. Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Jim, WA5DXP

There is a schematic draw program that works under WINXP. It is
called TINYCAD.

http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/index.html

One nice detail is, it can generate a netlist that you could use with a
board layout program like FREEPCB.

http://www.freepcb.com/

A different program with a fairly steep learning curve has both a
schematic diagram and a powerful board layout program is KICAD.

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/

Tinycad is probably a nice answer for an easy to learn schematic program,
I included the other two programs as general information in case somebody
wants to also do board layouts....

Jim Pennell
N6BIU

--