Old March 21st 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default "V" Dipole Antenna

WB8YKH wrote:
On Mar 20, 4:47 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
WB8YKH wrote:
There is much literature on the inverted "V" antenna but I've found
nothing on a "V" Dipole Antenna. Can someone help me with resources
or information on installation and effects of a "V" Dipole? In my
current location I am unable to raise my center point much more than
15 feet off ground. However I can raise the endpoints 30+ feet.
Before I go through much effort on the install I'd like to know what
kind of performance I can expect. Thank you for your insights!

Most dipoles are of the V type, having that weight in the middle and
all. Your dipole will work okay, go for it.

What is the reason for the center being half as high as the ends? There
will be some droop always, unless you place too much tension on the
wires - don't do it. It looks nice and all, but that antenna's probably
going to come down before too long.

Technically, there will be some differences between it and a straight
dipole. Just not that huge, and hey, that is what your situation allows!
If you give me your lengths and frequencies you are using, I can model
it for you.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

The reason for the center being half as high as the ends is that I
have trees on both ends but nothing in the center for support other
than one old short dead tree. Thank you for the insights and
encouragement. I'll begin the attempt to install once the weather
cooperates here in Michigan. WB8YKH

You should be able to get it a little higher in the middle. Enough
tension on the ends and you could have maybe 10 feet of droop instead of 20.

Another option I've seen used is to use a messenger rope that runs the
entire length of the antenna. With a sturdy rope, you can relieve the
tension on the antenna wires by having the tension on the rope

- 73 de Mike N3LI -