Old March 21st 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
WB8YKH WB8YKH is offline

Default "V" Dipole Antenna

On Mar 21, 10:33*am, Michael Coslo wrote:
WB8YKH wrote:
On Mar 20, 4:47 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
WB8YKH wrote:
There is much literature on the inverted "V" antenna but I've found
nothing on a "V" Dipole Antenna. *Can someone help me with resources
or information on installation and effects of a "V" Dipole? *In my
current location I am unable to raise my center point much more than
15 feet off ground. *However I can raise the endpoints 30+ feet.
Before I go through much effort on the install I'd like to know what
kind of performance I can expect. *Thank you for your insights!
Most dipoles are of the V type, having that weight in the middle and
all. Your dipole will work okay, go for it.

* * * * What is the reason for the center being half as high as the ends? There
will be some droop always, unless you place too much tension on the
wires - don't do it. It looks nice and all, but that antenna's probably
going to come down before too long.

Technically, there will be some differences between it and a straight
dipole. Just not that huge, and hey, that is what your situation allows!
If you give me your lengths and frequencies you are using, I can model
it for you.

* * * * - 73 de Mike N3LI -

The reason for the center being half as high as the ends is that I
have trees on both ends but nothing in the center for support other
than one old short dead tree. *Thank you for the insights and
encouragement. *I'll begin the attempt to install once the weather
cooperates here in Michigan. *WB8YKH

You should be able to get it a little higher in the middle. Enough
tension on the ends and you could have maybe 10 feet of droop instead of 20.