Old March 22nd 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
WB8YKH WB8YKH is offline

Default "V" Dipole Antenna

On Mar 22, 11:29*am, "Tam" wrote:
"Buck" wrote in message

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:34:40 -0700 (PDT), WB8YKH
wrote:

There is much literature on the inverted "V" antenna but I've found
nothing on a "V" Dipole Antenna. *Can someone help me with resources
or information on installation and effects of a "V" Dipole? *In my
current location I am unable to raise my center point much more than
15 feet off ground. *However I can raise the endpoints 30+ feet.
Before I go through much effort on the install I'd like to know what
kind of performance I can expect. *Thank you for your insights!

73
WB8YKH

My first thoughts are that instead of a 75 ohm antenna, you will now
have one closer to 50 ohms. *It may have an unnoticeable loss figure
due to the shortened length between the ends of the antenna, and if
you tune it to a higher frequency (tune, not trimmed in length) you
may find it more of NVIS, for example, a 40 meter v-pole might be
almost equivalent to a dipole, but on 15 meters, it would point strait
up.

Question: *can you pull the legs through an insulator or something so
you have hanging legs instead of a drooping center?

* * _________| |_________
* *| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
* *| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
* *| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."

If you have horizontal room, you can do somewhat better. Put insulators on
the ends, and pull out the ends so they go down at 45 degrees, or something,
rather than hanging straight down. I am doing this on a 75 meter dipole that
is supported by two 80 foot trees that are 60 feet apart. The antenna looks
somethging like an upside down W.

Tam/WB2TT- Hide quoted text -

N4PGW and WB2TT - Your responses were very interesting to me and
certainly worth my try. Yes, with my low center feed on the bazooka
coax dipole I can drop the ends to form an "M" shape. Do you know how
the radiation pattern would be effected? WB8YKH