Old March 22nd 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] plimmer@telkomsa.net is offline

Default Digital audio recordings

So there you have it, anything from a $50 unheard of Chinese brand to
a $2000 top of the line Marantz professional recorder.

If you Google around a bit there are literally hundreds of digital mp3
recorders new and used available, so you have to choose carefully
based on some important criteria you must develop.

In my case I chose the $400 Edirol R-09 becasue:
1.] it is about the only one I could find that had replaceable
batteries (AA's), whereas the bulk of them have rechargeables which
doesn't suit me at my Seefontein powerless DXpedition site.
2.] It is totally solid state with no moving parts at all, important
in the very dusty African environment.
3.] Excellent well lit display with lots of info in the poor light of
a DXpedition site. So many of the others have tiny unlit displays that
are difficult to read in poor light conditions.
4.] Lovely easy to use controls - many of the offerings have tiny
unuseable buttons.
5.] Outstanding PC interface - you just plug it into your PC USB port
and can drag and drop your audio files as you wish. A great advantage.
6.] Come standard with a nifty little mains power supply (110/220v
AC).

Of course the Edirol R-09 is a bit of an overkill for most as it will
do high CD quality recordings of musical concerts etc. in WAV, so it
is important that you set yourself some criteria and then google
around to see the vast number of reviews and products available.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

On Mar 21, 7:25*am, bm wrote:
On 20 Mar, 19:01, "Richard" wrote:

What are folks using these days to record audio? MiniDisc, DAT or
digital audio?

Any recommendations on digital audio recorders? That's what I'd go for I
think when I begin DXing again. I've no idea what products people are using.
Rich

iriver HDD recorders. Seehttp://www.kongsfjord.no/bm/iRiver%20HDD%20DAPs%20as%20DX%20Recorders...

I've had mine running 24/7 in recording or standby mode since October.
No problems.

BM