Old March 23rd 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default 2750KHz odd sound

In article
,
wrote:

On Mar 22, 5:45 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:10 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/2750khz.ogg
SF Bay area approx 9GMT 3/22/2008
2750Khz AM 9.5kHz filter

What is the file format?

Ogg. It plays in winamp, irfanview, videolan.

I down loaded the free videolan player. Nice app.

I think someone is testing a transmitter. It just sounds to me to be a
series of tones low to high and at one point a tone ramp.

If I'm awake at 2 AM I'll give it a listen.

That is my guess too. The signal itself doesn't sound "informative",
i.e. no modulation.

The allocation for that frequency isn't all that strict(fixed, mobile,
some aero), but given the power and consistency, it is fixed.

The series of tones and tone ramp could be a test of the transmitter
modulation capabilities.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California