Old March 23rd 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
stone-ok stone-ok is offline

Default Amp Purchase?

On Mar 22, 2:39*am, "Channel Cop" wrote:
"Stone-ok" wrote in message

I was wondering if I could get a little help on an amp purchase or other
modifications that would help in my tranmit and receive distance. *I'll
start off by mentioning that I live in the country with little to no
neighbors.

I have a barefoot Galaxy DX55V, that I've brought into the house and
hooked up to a Pyramid PS-14KX power supply with a Solarcon A99 mounted at
approximately 25', running Tramflex RG-8/x coax at a length of 50', and an
Astatic 636L mic.

It appears that with my current setup, I can hear traffic approximately
12-15 miles away with static - but they cannot hear me. *I was looking for
someway to clear that up and extend my range so that I could be heard and
since there are geography obstructions in between (fairly good size
hills), I first started looking at an amp. *I first thought of an RMI
KL-300, but was really unsure as to what choices were available due to
what the 14KX would drive.

It has also been mentioned that I should raise the antenna to 35', which
I'm all for - I just don't have anything available to attach it to at the
time.

Are there any suggestions? *Should I forego any amp purchase and focus on
raising my antenna? *If I should think of buying an amp, is the RMI KL
series amps worth considering or should I steer towards a Fat Boy,
Palomar, ALA, etc...

Thanks a lot for any assistance that you can give.

Happy Easter!

1] * *Make sure that your current antenna has a good ground.

2] * *Attach as many ground radials as you can.

3] * *See if you can barrow a antenna analyzer to check the SWR of your
antenna system.- Hide quoted text -

I guess I wasn't aware that I needed to ground the A99 all that much,
if any. I do have a single ground rod attached to tha mast that the
antenna's attached to.

I own an SWR meter, and it is currently running steadily around 1.5

Thanks for you response.