Old March 23rd 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Vinnie S. Vinnie S. is offline

Default Amp Purchase?

Thanks for you response.

1] You really want to try and get your SWR down to around 1.2:1

What is wrong with 1.5? It's prefectly fine, and losses from it are negiglible.

2] What is the length of your current coax?

This won't effect SWR.

3] You may want to try a higher quality coax.

Agreed. I use Davis Bury-flex. If you are not running underground, 9913 or
LMR400 is good.

4] You should check you coax connectors: are they old - you might want to
change them, but if you change them and they are the same age as the coax,
then change the coax it is cheaper. If the coax comes with the connectors
installed, then try to get the TEFLON connectors as they last longer and are
of higher quality.

5] Can you adjust the length of your antenna? If you can by loosening a
clamp, be sure to coat it with some RTV (u can get the RTV in any hardware
store) when you have finished adjusting it, as this will give your antenna
protection from the weather. Also, any coax connectors at the base of the
antenna should be covered with Coax-Seal (www.coaxseal.com/).

I think he has tuning rings for SWR. But 1.5 is still very good.

6] As far as the ground radials, google "ground radials" - there are a
number of sites with information on that subject.

I have also gotten a mixed bag of opinions on this.

Vinnie S.