Old March 23rd 08, 10:34 PM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.commercial-hit-radio,alt.radio,alt.radio.broadcasting.open
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default Jim Cramer Why Radio is dead.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

When I was programming our talk station in LA, I would periodically
acquire
these critters from the audience... disgruntled listeners who disagreed
with
a host's opinions or our use of the language or something even less
fathomable. Some would call the station manager, some would even call the
corporate offices or write to the newspapers. I really enjoyed this,
since
the complaints to a supposed higher level generally had enough data in
them
for one of our host to call the complainer on the air and grill them,
which
made for really entertaining radio and put the troll in its place.

Isn't that wonderful you used the bully power of your media outlet to
kill off dissenting opinion. You must be proud.

These trolls were not ordinary complainers... thery were nut cases of the
first water and there was considerable entertainment value in their
behaviour. In addtion to complaining, they were rude or obscene or
personally offensive to myself and my staff.

One was a character who thought himself the protector of the Spanish
language, and who objected to the use of the term "troca" for "pickup truck"
instead of the traditional "camioneta" which nobody uses on the street. The
guy would write 7 and 8 page letters about language, failing to see that
word usage is dynamic.

We ambushed him by having two university professors who explained how
language changes. It made for informative radio, with the entertainment
value of a nutcase who wanted to roll language usage back 100 years.

You pit your whole organization against one guy in order to collect
intelligence and then had someone else pummel the guy. How brave.

That is entirely what talk radio is about... it's a sport, not an
intellectual excercise. The whole idea is to do the same thing as the WWF
does: provide an entertainment. Ask any major market talk programmer... or
any well rated host, from Limbaugh to Hannity.

You really are a scum-bag.

You really don't get the fact that talk radio is entertainment, not news.