Old March 24th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Really tiny soldering iron??

I wonder if anyone knows of a really small soldering iron (half the diameter
of the Antex 12W iron). I have one I purchased in USA about 20 years ago
and the element has now failed. As the manufacturers name has worn off the
handle I am at a loss as to where to get a replacement. A search of the web
has proved fruitless. It is the only iron I have had that can fit between
other components or in very confined spaces when replacing SMD resistors
etc.

Original iron:-
Overall length handle and bit 145mm (5 1/2")
Handle diameter 9mm
Shaft (element) diameter 1.6mm
Bit maximum diameter 3mm
Bit tip approximately 0.5mm - may be less.
Supply 12V

Can't help you with the mystery iron, but I can tell you a trick I've
used successfully. Take a piece of copper buss wire (~ #22) and wrap it
around the tip of the Antex iron several times with a short bit sticking
out. For small surface mount parts (not connected to a ground plane),
you don't really need much heat. This tip extender trick has allowed me
to solder 0201 surface mount parts in some tight spots. You can file the
point into any shape you like.

Doug White