Old November 9th 03, 08:25 PM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 14:56:14 GMT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

A precision, scientific-grade instrument is needed.

Now I am really perplexed! If I need an instrument such as you
describe, how will I ever get this thing to tune with my lowly IC-745?

Hi Mike,

Don't get hung up in the Cassandra cries of impossible. Your receiver
will tell you quite well where the loop is resonant. You will get
much more background noise as you tune the band across that frequency;
and if you cannot tune your receiver with such restraint to observe
this, prospects for transmission tuning are far bleaker. Shelling out
bucks for "scientific-grade" instrumentation does nothing to improve
the situation when your receiver has more than enough "precision."

There are zero-power tuners on the market that have adjunct white
noise generators to allow you to tune an antenna system using the
receiver employing this same method. But as that is for antenna
systems of broader Q's, their the additional noise is useful for
emphasizing the resonant peak. Your Loop comes with an advantage
(more Q) in that regard.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC