Old March 26th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus D Peter Maus is offline

Default KTBN - WRNO

Doodle wrote:
** U S A. George Jacobs tells me that KTBN will be closing down
permanently
at 0100 UT March 30.
Didn't TBN pay an arm and a leg for that SW station?? "From the West to
the world!"

WHy would they want to shut it down and not sell it to someone else?

Probably high electricity costs to run something like that. Not sure what
type of transmitter they have but I am sure that in Utah it is costing a
pretty penny to run that sort of operation. Maybe TBN is figuring out that
Shortwave isn't their high priority medium as well.

Well, why wouldn't they sell the facility to someone else?

1) No percieved market for the sale. Unwilling to sell at a loss.

2) Other plans for the facility. Recovered real estate. Sale of
assets piecemeal.

3) No one ever said broadcasters were the sharpest knives in your back.