Old March 28th 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Harold E. Johnson Harold E. Johnson is offline

Default Homebrew traps

"Barrett" wrote in message
. uk...
Some one sent me an email and said these will do the job. Ceramic
capacitor disk 10KV/1000pF. Do you think these would work?

This is my first attempt at making traps and I do not fully understand how
they work. I am willing to learn as this is what makes the hobby great but
I cannot find enough step by step info to lead me in the right direction.

No. For an 80/40 meter trapped dipole, the traps will need a capacitor close
to 60 pF. 1000 pF will not be suitable.

You might look at the traps made of coaxial cable where the inductance is
tuned to resonance with the capacity of the cable length itself. No easier
to construct, and heavier than the wire wound/capacitor trap, but eminently
easier to obtain in the materials department.

Info available from Google.

W4ZCB