Old March 28th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] greenhornet@kato.net is offline

Default Kaito KA2100 vs Sony ICF-SW7600 vs Sangean ATS909/ATS505 vs Grun

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 00:15:01 GMT, m II wrote:

rainguy wrote:

From what I've read, the Sangean 909 is inferior to the other 3.

I haven't found that to be the case. I tried the 7600 before buying and
found the sync function didn't do anything. That and the lack of real
tuning knob pushed me towards the 909. I liked it well enough to get a
dx-398 from Radio shack to keep it company.

http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm

http://members.verizon.net/~vze20h45...ats909faq.html

mike

All right..........another 909/398 vs 7600g(r) debate!! In true SNL
(original version) I must respond: Mike you ignorant slut!

I have the RatShack 398 and 7600G and have found that their weaknesses
are almost complementary. For instance, I like the 40 Hz tuning of
SSB on the 398 vs the clarifier on the Sony - they each work but the
398 is a bit 'easier' for me to use. Agree with you on the tuning
knob, do miss it on the 7600G. Memory is much better in the 398 and
it has the variable attenuator. However there have been many
instances in which I've found the 7600 picks up a station with better
clarity & less noise than the 398 - using the same external antenna.
For general listening with an external antenna they are often the
same, again the weak signals have been better received on the 7600G.
On the whip the 7600G wins as I've found the 398 nearly deaf, likewise
if only using a 20 foot (or so) wire the Sony still wins. The sound
is different on each and I believer 'better' or 'worse' is truly a
personal preference - for me the Sony is 'clearer' and I can better
discern the spoken word. Synch on the 7600G I have works okay -
though it often helps I can't say it makes the difference between
copying a station or not. As far as bang for the buck, a bit more
compactness and battery economy the 7600G wins from my perspective.

Greenhornet