Old March 29th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Hal Rosser Hal Rosser is offline

Default Homebrew traps

"Jim-NN7K" . wrote in message
Barrett wrote:
I have seen some silver mica capacitors for sale @ 56pF they are,
Capacitor rad silver mica 56pf 400v 1%10mm 273 itt.

I was told that the voltage had to be higher than 6KV and those are only
400V. What is the Voltage that I can use and why?

Thanks

25.4 pf per ft - That's the capacitance of Belden 9907 RG-58a coax. I got
the info he
http://www.trinetcn.com/images/spec_...en/bel9907.pdf
All cable manufacturers publish the capacitance per ft of their coax.
With that said, I've heard of folks using that property of coax along with
a form to wind their own traps using RG-58.
I would think that since we use coax all the time for transmitting, it may
be able to withstand the electrical stress of working as a cap.
Oh - here's an article on the idea: http://degood.org/coaxtrap/
and this one has color illustrations and a calculator :
http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregor...n/CoaxTrap.htm