Old March 29th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default 900 kHz Image Problem with the Longwave Bands even on a GrundigG5 receiver

gccradioscience wrote:
On Mar 28, 7:04 am, RHF wrote:
On Mar 27, 6:26 am, dave wrote:

Radioguy wrote:
On Mar 26, 1:56 pm, gccradioscience wrote:
If you live in a city area or some rural area with a real strong AM
station its likely it will be found on the longwave bands from 150 to
519 kHz (1050 kHz to 1419 kHz) the 900 kHz carrier image. Please
understand that this station is not a real longwave radio station.
Its a image from the broadcast station when the station is strong
enough to bleed on other longwave frequencies. The radios that I
have is the DX-380, DX-390, DX-392 and the yes the new Grundig G5.
It has do something with the dual conversion circuitry . I am
hoping that manufactuers, hobbyists, and technicians will use the 900
kHz formula to see other image stations to show that these AM stations
should not be on the LW bands.
Desired AM Station (kHz) - 900 kHz = Image Station
The images I am getting here locally in Virginia Beach, VA on LW is
150 kHz = 1050 kHz WVXX -AM
210 kHz = 1110 kHz WYRM-AM
330 kHz = 1230 kHz WJOI -AM
410 kHz = 1310 kHz WGH-AM
450 kHz = 1350 kHz WGPL -AM
500 kHz = 1400 kHz WPCE-AM
AM Band Images that are annoying
550 kHz = 1450 kHz
650 kHz = 1550 kHz
Adam E.
You are seeing a problem that is common to many inexpensive radios.
If you tune down 900khz from a strong nighttime station on the 6mhz
band you will hear image signals too. The solution is to pay more for
a better designed radio.

-
- Or build a preselector for $20
-

GCCRS,

Or simply Buy a Ready-Made one and use it with a
35~60 Foot long Random Wire {Longwire} Antenna

MFJ-956 : Long Wave, AM/BCB Medium Wave and
Shortwave Bands Pre-Selector : 150 kHz ~ 30 MHzhttp://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/2964.htmlhttp://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/2964band.jpg

idtars ~ RHF
.

Why should I buy something that cost $60.00 for longwire I cannot not
even put up in an apartment????? RHF, I live in a apartment
for now best thing I was going to do with the preselector is use it
with a KA-35 antenna to eliminate images. I don't have no
way for a good alternative to an RF ground. Plus I am not on the
second floor elevation for to use outdoor active antennas. If
placed outdoor antennas they would be vandalized.

gccengineering

MFJ makes a combination active antenna/amplifier/preselector that may be
perfect for you. I forget the model #.