Old March 29th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mike[_2_] Mike[_2_] is offline

Default Kaito KA2100 vs Sony ICF-SW7600 vs Sangean ATS909/ATS505 vs Grun

I own all the radios being discussed in this thread, so I thought I'd
add my impressions:

1. The G5, E5, and the 1103 are basically the same radio in in
slightly different boxes. Very sensitive off the whip, decent audio,
which is even better if listening through earphones. They are tiny,
but I have no problem even with my fat, puffy, little fingers. I'm
also really impressed by the selectivity/audio tradeoff on the narrow
filter. The DE1102 is also similar, but even smaller.

2. For DXing the Sony 7600G or GR gets the nods. Handles external
antennas much better and the selectable sync really helps dig out DX
in crowded band conditions. The lack of a tuning knob is a drag. It
does resolve USB/LSB better that the previous radios.

3. The Radio Shack DX-398 is the same as the Sangean ATS-909. Not very
sensitive off the whip, but handles externals like a desktop receiver
does. Smaller tuning resolution increments allow good SSB
clarification. These radios do eat AA batteries like candy.

4. The KA2100 is the N American version of the Redsun RP2100. I was
lucky enough to acquire one of these just last week. It really rocks!
Awesome sensitivity, big numerals on the digital display, large enough
speaker to deliver quality audio - which is helped by the inclusion of
separate and contiuous bass and treble controls. Probably the best FM
reception of any portable I own. Also, ties with the 7600GR for best
MW reception. It's larger than the other radios in this thread, but
still portable. While it does not receive SSB-clarified signals, an
after-market BFO is available and can be attached to the IF out
receptacle.

Some folks also include the old Grundig Yacht Boy-400 in these
comparisons, but I think it's clearly inferior.

http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm

Mike Bryant
Louisville, KY