Old March 31st 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell John Ferrell is offline

Default Strong Local FM Broadcast / MFJ 259b

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:34:41 -0700 (PDT), dykesc
wrote:

The manual on the MFJ 259b warns that strong local broadcast band rf
can cause problems with accuracy of the unit. The warning mentions
strong AM broadcast signals. A new tall tower near my house is
emitting a strong FM broadcast signal. When I hooked up my G5RV to the
frequency counter input on my 259b, it immediately locked on at
100.500 MHz. The signal is so strong that I can hear the station at
multiple frequencies when I tune across the FM broadcast band on a
small FM radio. Could this be interferring with my attempts at getting
reliable R-X SWR readings on my G5RV with the 259b?

The worst is yet to come:
More transmitters are likely to be added to the new tower...

John Ferrell W8CCW
Beware of the dopeler effect (pronounced dope-ler).
That's where bad ideas seem good if they come at you
fast enough.