Old April 1st 08, 09:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc
geek geek is offline

Default Variable inductor, DIY?

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:11:22 -0700, Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:

I'd like to build a variable inductor with what I have around my shop (lots
of bits n' pieces, but no cores). I need it to work in the area of 20-30 mH,
1A, 25-30 KHz.

Is this something do-able? Is there something available off-the-shelf?

Suggestions of how to go about it would be greatly appreciated.

FBt

Hi,

You need it to handle 1A of current down there? You must be a VLFer.

No cores is right, it will probably saturate and make for a BBQ. We are
talking a BIG air core inductor here. A variometer might be your best bet
for variable inductance with those specs. Give that a Google.

Cheers,
__
Gregg