Old April 1st 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J. Mc Laughlin J. Mc Laughlin is offline

Default BNC Crimp Tool and crimp-connector

Dear Jimmie: Thank you for sharing your experience. That is just the sort
of thing needed.

After looking at information available on the WEB, it seems most likely that
Steren is the actual manufacturer. Steren makes both a BNC-RCA-F crimp tool
(204-036) (about $42) and a dedicated BNC crimp tool (204-005) (about $16).
I hope that someone who has used these tools will report their experience.

Thanks again, Mac N8TT
--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:
"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
.. .
Dear Jim: Oh my, are they expensive. For half the price, Steren
(sterenusa.com) makes a model 204-036 that deals with BNC, RCA, and F
type connectors. What looks like the same tool, is sold under Paladin
name and some house-brands. I wonder if anyone has used this tool?

Sometimes one must pay a high price to receive reliability and quality,
but that is not always the case. Someone put us onto a modest cost CAT5
tool that we used at work for many, many connectors with almost no
failures.

Thanks for you advice. I will put the AMP 58433-2 on the list to
consider.

73, Mac N8TT

I ve used both the Paladin and AMP crimp tools. The AMPS work very well
all the time.
I have found some of the Paladins that dont work as well a others. This
usually means the shield is not fastened to the body of the connector as
well as it should.. Not knowing each tools individual history this may be
as a result of normal use and abuse as the poorer ones seem to have been
around for a while. I know the ones most recently purchased perform very
well.

The AMP tools is at least 20 years old or older and still works
flawlessly. However its never been on a tower or tossed around in a tool
bag, thrown in the back of a truck, or used for a hammer.

If you have ever tried to replace a number of N connectors while on a
tower even the price of the AMP tool becomes very economical.

One thing the Paladin tool has going for it is durabilty. I have dropped
it off of a 60 ft tower without doing any damage. Im not sure if the AMP
tool would handle this.

Jimmie