Old April 3rd 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Pete KE9OA Pete KE9OA is offline

Default Drake R8B compared to Icom R71A (with mods)

The HF-150 isn't too bad to repair. About the only things that go wrong are
a blown
SL-6440 1st mixer, a bad 100uF cap at the output of the 8V regulator that
causes the audio to howl, and a 4569 programmable divider chip on the front
panel board that sometimes goes bad, causing the BFO injection frequency to
be outside of the I.F. passband.
Actually, these problems occur in most of the Lowe units, from time to time.
Every once in a while, I will repair them for a friend.

Pete

"friendlyneighborhooddisease" wrote in message
.. .
D Peter Maus wrote:
Unrevealed Source wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Widening the field abit, I'd recommend looking also at AOR's
AR-7030+, Palstar's R30 (and its variants), Ten-Tec's RX-320D, RX-350,
RX-340, and if you can find them, Lowe's HF-150, HF-225, and HF-250.
Though HF-150 isn't in quite the same class as the others. Basic,
small...but its lack of features is more than offset by it's potent
performance.

I notice you didn't include the R-75 in that list. How come?

Because I wasn't thinking about it at the time.

I don't recommend the HF-150; you can't get it serviced.