Old April 5th 08, 10:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : Why Are There So Few HDTV Sub-Channels On-the-Air ?

On Apr 4, 9:49*am, wrote:
I won't pay to go to a movie theater. *I won't pay for satellite tv.
I won't pay for cable television. *I won't pay for satellite radio.
But I will pay for FREE over-the-air HD Radio.

Since I don't care about a big-screen tv, my reason for going hdtv is
for content. *But WHERE is all the new content on the sub-channels?
After all this time, finally two local stations have added a sub-
channel with new content. *Because of this, I purchased an analog-to-
digital converter box to get the content on my regular tv. *EVENTUALLY
HD radio will have the content.

Most radio listeners don't give a hoot about dxing; HD radio will
therefore be a nice upgrade for them. *I still run across people who
don't know what a navigation system is, who have never heard of
satellite radio, who still had no idea analog tv was shutting off next
year, etc. *It takes time for the general public to become aware of
new technology. *HD Radio WILL succeed.

GA - Currently there is NO MANDATE for Cable TV Systems
and Direct Satellite TV Broadcasters to carry the 'Local' TV
Channel's HDTV Sub-Channels.

If-and-When the US Congress Requires-by-Law and/or the
FCC Requires-by-Regulation that Cable TV Systems and
Direct Satellite TV Broadcasters to carry "ALL" 'Local' TV
Channel's -icluding- the HDTV Sub-Channels : Then you will
see a Growth in the number of TV Stations offering many
more HDTV Sub-Channels.

- = EXAMPLE = -

KQED - Primary HDTV Channel 9.1 is on Local Cable TV
and in the 'Basic' / Standard Cable TV Package

KQED - Life-Encore HDTV Sub-Channel 9.2 is NOT on the
Local Cable TV -or- Requires the Pruchase of one of the
Premium Cable TV Packages.

KQED - World HDTV Sub-Channel 9.3 is NOT on the Local
Cable TV -or- Requires the Pruchase of one of the Premium
Cable TV Packages.

KQED - V-Me HDTV Sub-Channel 9.4 is NOT on the Local
Cable TV -or- Requires the Pruchase of one of the Premium
Cable TV Packages.

KQED - Kids HDTV Sub-Channel 9.5 is NOT on the Local
Cable TV -or- Requires the Pruchase of one of the Premium
Cable TV Packages.

KQED - "At the time of this writing (9/02), KQED-DT's
digital and high definition TV programming is not carried
by cable companies, satellite companies, or translators."
http://www.kqed.org/help/tv/tunein.jsp

The US Congress Needs To Change The Laws and Required
that All HDTV Channels and Sub-Channels be Carried on both
Cable TV Systems and by Direct Satellite TV Broadcasters.

All {100%} of the "Free" Over-the-Air TV and now HDTV needs
to be 100% Available in all 'Basic' Standard Cable TV {HDTV}
Packages and the Direct Satellite TV Broadcasters 'Basic'
Standard DBS TV {HDTV} Packages too.

end-of-rant ~ RHF