Old April 6th 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Wellbrook Antennas

On Apr 5, 9:57*pm, Joe Analssandrini wrote:
Dear "Cuhulin,"

I'm pretty certain that they are still selling very well indeed. Here
is their web site: http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ where you can find
out all the latest information about their products. I understand that
there was a delay in filling orders about a year or two ago due to the
fact that Ibiquity, the inventor and licensor of so-called "HD
Radio" (IBOC) ordered quite a large number of Wellbrook antennas in
order to do testing of AM IBOC; Ibiquity found that the Wellbrook
antenna gave the best and most consistent response in picking up their
signals. But I'm pretty certain that, at least in regard to fulfilling
orders, things are back to normal now.

In a location that affords a lot of open space AND is electrically
quiet, say a rural farm area, the best antenna is a long wire of the
random length type or of the Beverage type. (Also a dipole.) If the
plot of space is somewhat more restricted, a "sloper" type, which is,
in fact, a trapped dipole, may do as well. Note that these are all
passive antennas. In the proper location, a passive wire antenna will
generally outperform any other type for reception of radio signals..

The problem, of course, is that nowadays MOST of us do not live in
such an ideal location. We live in congested suburbs or cities; we may
live in a town home or condominium community; we may have a very small
plot of land; we may have homeowners covenant restrictions; we may
have neighbors who have electrical items which cause interference, and
we may even have these things ourselves! *Any of those conditions, and
a few more besides, greatly interfere with AM and, especially,
shortwave reception.

In these cases, we must look for solutions to the problem (or else
give up the hobby - not a satisfactory alternative). One of the best
solutions is a loop antenna which will respond more to the magnetic
portion of the radio signal as opposed to the electrical portion of
that signal. And, as practically all owners will attest, the very best
loop antennas are made by Andy Ikin of Wellbrook. His designs,
constantly being improved, are positively amazing in what they do for
shortwave reception. No other antenna can perform as well in the
"usual" adverse conditions most of us find in our living areas.

I can vouch for that - and in a way that may surprise some. During the
summer, when we are listening to shortwave radio, it is always easy to
tell when a thunderstorm approaches; you'll hear the lightning crashes
on your radio - that is you will if you have any antenna BUT a
Wellbrook! I have found that I must be VERY careful in the summertime
when using either of my two Wellbrooks because it has happened that a
thunderstorm was upon me before I had any indication it was coming.
There were NO lightning crashes audible on the radio until the storm
was practically here and I could hear the thunder.

What this means, of course, is that, especially in the summertime,
when atmospheric noise is at its highest, you will be able to listen
to shortwave signals with full enjoyment and freedom from extraneous
noise. Even those who live in "ideal" conditions and have a long wire
antenna may benefit from the Wellbrook's quietness. The Wellbrook
active antenna would certainly NOT be a replacement for a several-
hundred-foot antenna, but it most definitely would be a worthy
supplement to that.

Should "everyone" order a Wellbrook (ALA 330S - my models - or the ALA
1530 [S or Plus] the MW-enhanced model)? Well, these antennas are
certainly not inexpensive nor are they as easy to install as is a
passive wire. In addition you need a rotator and a few other odds and
ends (including RG-58U cable) obtained locally which adds to the cost.
And, to add insult to injury, the dollar-to-pound ratio is atrocious
at the present time. Obviously one who owns only a portable shortwave
radio (the Grundig Satellit 800, the Eton E1, the Drake SW-8, and
various older Lowe "port-a-tops" excepted) would not buy such an
antenna; it would almost be equivalent to filling the fuel tank of
your Kia Rio with jet engine fuel!

But if you're a dedicated world band listener and you own a good
tabletop shortwave receiver and you happen to live in a less-than-
ideal location AND if you can have the discipline to save up the
required amount of money, you will find NO antenna even COMPARABLE to
any of the Wellbrook range of active antennas.

All the above is, of course, as is everything else that I write,
strictly my own opinion. But I have never seen anything "negative"
written about ANY Wellbrook antenna written by an actual owner who has
actually installed and actually uses one of these antennas.

Best,

Joe

On Apr 5, 8:04 pm, wrote:

Are they still selling pretty good? What's new with them?
cuhulin- Hide quoted text -

Joe - Nice Stories and a Great Read. ~ RHF