Old April 9th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini Joe Analssandrini is offline

Default Wellbrook Antennas

Dear "Telamon,"

After all these years - I still find it incredible that many radio
hobbyists do not realize that the antenna is more important than the
radio!

While antennas and radios must be matched properly and carefully
(that's, of course, where experience and knowledge comes in), given my
"druthers," I'd rather set up my "radio shack" based primarily on the
antenna rather than the radio. That's precisely what I did with my
first Wellbrook ALA 330S. Frankly, I took a chance - based solely on
the reviews in PASSPORT TO WORLD BAND RADIO (and I'm sure glad I did!)
- and only after actually ordering the antenna did I decide to buy an
AOR AR7030 Plus. ( had originally thought that I would possibly buy
another Grundig Satellit 800 for use downstairs with the new Wellbrook
but then I decided that, since I was getting what was hopefully the
best antenna for my particular circumstances, for once in my life I
should have a real top-end radio. But the Wellbrook turned out to be
so good that I bought a second one for my upstairs Sat800 (with which
I had been using an AOR WL-500 Window Loop Antenna - a good unit but
not in the class of the Wellbrook).

I guess it's just "wishful thinking" on my part that more SWLers would
take the time and make the effort to learn just how important the
antenna is; these people would then certainly derive much more
pleasure from the hobby.

As always, the above is strictly my own opinion and, again as always,
it is rather lengthy. But YOUR answer to the gentleman making the
comment about the $400.00 antenna with his $200.00 radio - in only 14
words - says it all - clearly, concisely, and absolutely accurately.

Best,

Joe

On Apr 8, 9:32 pm, Telamon
wrote:

So to get my $200 AM radio to work I need a $400 antenna? Nice...

If you want your $200 dollar radio to work at its best then yes.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California