Old April 11th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck[_2_] Buck[_2_] is offline

Default Multiband no-radial vertical?

I once had a Hustler 4BTV and a Taylor Radio 4 Band Trap Vertical (at
different times.) Both antennas recommended ground radials, but I
managed to use them effectively with only a ground rod and worked all
states and many DX countries.

Obviously, this is not the optimum way to use either antenna, but
given the restrictions I had at those times, they were better than the
alternative, none!

My thoughts are, that if the antenna is to be ground mounted, as
opposed to roof mounted, a good ground rod (Mine was 4') will make
most ground mounted verticals usable.

I can't offer much help for a roof mount unless there is ample metal
to connect a ground to.

I hope this is useful info.

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:13:30 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

I received an email question from a ham in Spain
and I don't know the answer.

Could you recommend me a HF vertical multiband antenna
(80,40,20,10 or more bands) which doesn't require
radials?

Is there a commercial HF vertical available in
Spain that doesn't require radials?

N4PGW
Buck
--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."