Old April 12th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Barrett Barrett is offline

Default MFJ-259Z

Of course the board is multi layered that's why the pins look as if there
not connected. I've checked for dry solder joints and they all look ok to me
so I think its some thing a bit more serious than that, so back it goes.

"Barrett" wrote in message
I have two questions. On the power socket on the MFJ-259, there are 3
terminals on this socket.
1. Is the centre pin that is + volts.
2.. Is the negative side pin that connects to the GND track on the board.
3,. Is another negative pin that connects to the chassis.

Are the two negative pins in the power socket connected in anyway inside
the socket itself?

They are not connected on the board.

If I bridge a wire from one negative pin to the other on the socket the
batteries start to charge. I don't want to do this if its bypassing the
problem.

I'm beginning to suspect a bad power socket. What do you think?

MFJ just e-mailed back and said.
got to be a short somewhere in the battery compartment then. or there is
a faulty smt diode or resistor. if you have a way of testing the
components, check around the charging jumper circuit.

Many thanks

Barrett

"Highland Ham" wrote in message
Barrett wrote:
I have only taken the back off at this point and was hoping it would be
some thing simple to fix, rather than send it back.

Is there an MFJ in the UK?

==================================
No ,you probably have to return it to the UK importer Waters & Stanton.

I have used the MFJ259 (bought in the USA) for many years with an
external small Sealed Lead Acid battery .
I find it a very useful piece of equipment to test antenna matching units
and resistors/capacitors used for RF purposes . Also stubs and coax
cable.

It is also used whenever a UK Foundation Licence trainee in my area needs
to do an antenna assessment eg plotting the SWR curve of a wire dipole
with the exercise to be repeated with a slightly shorter dipole ,showing
a shift of the SWR graph towards a higher frequency.
All this is done with a dipole for 28 MHz.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH