Old April 13th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Line Of Sight Question

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

For the scanner frequencies around 118 MHz, e.g., I realize FM is
essentially line of sight.

Are AM transmissions also line of sight ?

Same question, but for the higher freq's around 800 MHz ?

Thanks,
Bob

It is not the type of transmission (AM, FM, SSB) but the frequencies that
determin the line of sight. For the most part any frequency much above 30
mhz will be line of sight most of the time.

In a few years when the sun spots come back, frequencies up to 50 mhz or
slightly more will become more useful for distances greater than line of
sight.

There will be times when you can receive transmissions at much greater
distances on almost all frequencies. I have worked stations over 500 miles
away many times on 144 and 432 mhz. This is not normal, but it can hapen.
This is with simple antennas and 25 watts of power. More power and better
antennas will give beter results.