Old April 13th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Constant impedance response to infinity with point radiation

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

Use a simple wire or rod radiator tied to the center conductor of the
coax, no radiator tied to the shield, and a length of feedline which
is an even multiple of a halfwave (at the exterior shield's
velocity-of-propagation) back to ground or the transmitter, serving as
a counterpoise?

Seems to me, the "ground" would cause reflections, turn
that "even multiple of a halfwave" into a standing-wave
antenna, and maybe be more efficient than an Isotron?

Better be careful about that dreaded word "efficient", especially in
the context of small antennas - Art might take umbrage.

On the basis of the usual "power radiated, divided by power input",
the type I suggested *might* be more efficient than an Isotron... but
only because its losses might be lower. Most of the Isotron designs
I've seen pictured, have a tuned circuit of some sort at the feedpoint
(e.g. a big air-wound coil and a metal-plate capacitor), and there
will no doubt be some losses in this tuned circuit.

I don't know which antenna would have more directional gain at its
primary lobe, or which one would have a stronger signal in whatever
specific angle its operator found most useful at any particular moment.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO