Old April 13th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Line Of Sight Question

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:02:04 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

For the scanner frequencies around 118 MHz, e.g., I realize FM is
essentially line of sight.

Are AM transmissions also line of sight ?

Same question, but for the higher freq's around 800 MHz ?

Hi Bob,

John and Ralph pretty much cover some of the familiar turf. I would
add (or perhaps extend what has been said) that atmosphering ducting
can extend that range thousands of miles.

One example that I personally observed (quite literally) was watching
TV programining out of Edmonton and Calgary Canada while I was living
in Colorado Springs, Colorado. There were times I could watch an
entire movie before the duct faded away.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC