Old April 14th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default SWL -Newbies- Using Your "Kaito" AM FM Shortwave Radio for the FirstTime

On Apr 14, 7:17*am, Hacienda de Ville ferrante276-
wrote:
Hi,
* I certainly appreciate everything all of you are suggesting. I
started playing with my Kaito KA11 hoping that I could try and get
some things as I do like the size of it. Today, I am going to take it
out as see if I get AM on the outside. If not, something is definitely
wrong with this radio.
* When I scan the SW bands, I am disappointed as I get nothing except
two different broadcasts, both religious. I was hoping to get the BBC
and other things. Apparently that is not to be, at least not in my
apartment. I will try outside and see what happens and post later what
I found out.
* On some of the models you guys recommended, I saw different SW bands
covered. This radio has coverage of 5.80-18.10. Is that good or should
I try and get one that covers the whole spectrum. With what this
covers, should I be getting more than I am and does the BBC fall
within this range.
* Again, please know I sincerely appreciate the help you are giving me
and thank you for allowing me to ask what may appear to some as stupid
questions. *

Haci

HdV,

SWL -Newbies- Using Your "Kaito" AM FM Shortwave Radio for the First
Time

First - Take the Radio and the Owner's Manual out and sit
down and Handle the Radio along with Reading the Manual.
-Tip- Insert the Batteries into the Radio.

Kaito KA11 Digital AM FM Shortwave Radio
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA11.htm
http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka11.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...able/0011.html

Kaito KA11 AM FM SW Radio Controls
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...e/0011cont.jpg

Kaito KA11 AM FM SW Radio Specifications
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL.../0011spec.html

OK so when you take your Radio 'outside' :

1 - Make sure that the "DX/Local" Switch is in the DX position.
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...e/0011side.jpg

2 - For FM Band Radio reception Extend the Radio's
Whip Antenna fully Straight-Up.

3 - For AM/MW Band Radio reception the Radio uses
it's built-in AM/MW Ferrite Rod Antenna :
* Collapse the Radio's Whip Antenna.
* Rotate the Radio around for the Best reception of
each Radio Station Peaking and Nulling the signal.

4 - For Shortwave Radio reception use :
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...e/0011side.jpg
* Outdoor Antenna Socket and plug-in the
* Soft-Wire or Reel Antenna**; and extend the Antenna
Wire Up and Away from the Radio into the Air.
http://www.kaitousa.com/radioimages/KA11F.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...le/0011sys.jpg

For Day-Time Shortwave Listening with the
Kaito KA11 AM FM SW Radio try :
25m Shortwave Band : 11,500 - 12,200 kHz
22m Shortwave Band : 13,510 - 13,900 kHz
19m Shortwave Band : 15,000 - 15,700 kHz

For Night-Time Shortwave Listening with the
Kaito KA11 AM FM SW Radio try :
49m Shortwave Band : 5,800 - 6,400 kHz
41m Shortwave Band : 6,900 - 7,400 kHz
31m Shortwave Band : 9,100 - 9,990 kHz

** 23 Foot Reel {Roll-Up} Shortwave Antenna
http://www.kaitousa.com/Antenna.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3184.html