Old April 16th 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Minimum gauge for groud...

On Apr 15, 10:58*pm, Drakefan wrote:
Dave wrote:
Michael wrote:

Hiya...

Been a while since I posted here. *For the sake of noise suppression
as affective lightning protection is almost hopeless without gas
tubes, what would be the minimum gauge wire that you could use for a
ground from the radio to a ground spike and from a matching
transformer to a ground spike ??? *Yes, I know there is loads of info
on the net, but I would like some active opinions as some recent
discussions I have had on this has been conflicting.

Also... I've gotten conflicting opinions on this one too. *If you have
a long wire or beverage set up on a matching transformer like the ICE
180, there is a ground receptacle on the matching transformer. *Would
you:

A. *Use a separate ground wire from the matching transformer to the
ground spike and another separate ground wire from the receiver to the
ground spike ???

or

B. *Use one single ground wire from the receiver's ground port going
up to the matching transformer and then to the ground spike ???

I know this stuff is antenna-101, but I'm interested to see what the
opinions here are

Thanx in advance !!!

Mike D.
Northern NJ

Try both ways. *I have my MLB grounded to the support mast via the outer
conductor of the RG58, about a foot from the near end of the random
wire. *The mast itself is grounded.

- If your balun and coax is up in the air, you don't have
- an effective RF ground to prevent common mode noise
- on the coax shield.

Bad Coax Cable Grounding : Then run a separate Webbed
Ground Wire up to the Matching Transformer.

Ground "Strap" Cable
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable/4607.html

- That's why the balun needs to be close to the ground
- so you can use a short ground wire between the coax
- shield and the ground rod.

Yes this is 'preferred' -but- sometimes not possible to do.

- This is how you achieve an effective RF ground on the
coax shield.

Yes very true.

1 - Achieving a good 'effrective' RF Ground on {Along} the
Coax Cable's Outer Shield starts with the RF Connectors
at the Ends of the Coax Cable. -if- the outer Ring of the
RF Connectors are not making very good all around 'contact'
with 'all' {the vast majority} of the Coax Cable Shielding
Wires then your Coax Cable Shielding may not be very
effective {leakage} and too since only a feww of the total
Wires are connected the Coax Cable Shield will be a Higher
Resistance {Reactance} then is defined for the spec.
This is 'why' PL-259 Plugs that are "Soldered' to Coax Cable
that uses Copper Wire Braid is generally 'preferred'.

2 - The Ground / Ground Wire 'attachment' to the Ground Rod.

Note - Some will use one of these simple "Lightning Arrestors"
mounted directly on a Ground Rod with Two SS Hose Clamps.

3 - The Ground / Ground Wire 'attachment' to the Matching
Transformer {Balun / MLB} -or- PL-259 Plug.

TIP - Full Contact Ground Wire 'attachment' to the PL-259 Plug :
* Strip-Off 3 Inches of Insulation from your Ground Wire.
* Solder the 3 Inches of exposed Ground Wire take a pair of
Long-Nose Pliers and Shape the Gound Wire 'around' to the
Outer-Threaded-Ring of the PL-259 Plug.
Place a SS Hose Clamp over the 'formed' Ground Wire on
the PL-259 Plug and tighten the Hose Clamp to secure the
Ground Wire directly to the PL-259 Plug.
ENSURES - A 'full' 360 Degree contact between the Ground
wire and the Outer-Threaded-Ring of the PL-259 Plug.
-Note- This is done after the PL-259 Plug has been connected
to what ever it is being connected to.

- It also provides a vertical section of the antenna coming
- down from the horizontal wire.

Yes very true.

To some degree the Horizontal-Out-Arm can be directional :
While the Vertical-Up-Leg is Omni-Directional : The 'combination'
of the two generally makes the Inverted "L" Antenna an
All-Around {Omni} Non-Directional Antenna.

This is required for a true inverted-L antenna.

Hence the name Inverted "L" and the shape of the Antenna.

- The vertical section (wire) sometimes picks up a better
- signal than the horizontal wire of the antenna so it's best
- to have both sections in use.

On any given day & on any given frequency :
Who Knows What Possible : Practically Speaking.

- Having the balun near the ground allows for this configuration.

Restated another way : This configuration 'allows' the Matching
Transformer to be placed :
1 - Very Near the Ground
2 - Mounted on the earthen Ground Rod :
{Most Direct Grounding-Point and Connection}
3 - Places the "First-Ground-Path" Away-from-the-House
and 'improves' Lightning Safety for the House and it's
Occupants.
4 - Allows the Coax Cable to be on/under/near the surface
of the ground.

IN CONCLUSION - Here is RHF's "Tip" on Ground Wires :
As Short As Possible -and- As Heavy As Practical.
{ Do What You Can Do To Make Both Happen }