Old April 16th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
[email protected] radioguy222@yahoo.com is offline

Default build-it-yourself cb illegal?

From the posts here and in the other radio newsgroups such as the ham
and frs groups, I seen posts saying it
was illegal to use a cb transmitter you built yourself.

So does this mean it's illegal to use my Radio Shack CB kit that was
sold in the 1970's and 1980's to
transmit on the cb channels?

I don't have that kit anymore though, or what was built with it.

The posts here had me thinking it was illegal to use.

Until I saw another post somewhere that made me realize it was
probably a part 15 device.

Which I think is completely legal to use on the 40 cb channels.

If not, then those kits weren't legal even though Radio Shack sold
them all over the country.

Whether they were part 15 or full power, since they were completely
legal at the time they were sold, not
allowing them to be used on the legal 40 cb channels is a violation of
the ex-post-facto laws of the
U.S. Constitution, the supreme law of the land.

I highly doubt that they were full power though. I think they were
probably part 15.

But then again, some people say it's not part 15 either unless it's
been certified as part 15 by the FCC.

Either the way, the kits were sold as being legal to use on "all 40 cb
channels" in the U.S.

Some of the older kits said on all 23 channels.

If only I still had mine, which I don't anymore.

So basically some of these licensed users are saying that people who
built these cb kits in the 70's and 80's
and were using them aren't allowed to use them anymore (even though
they didn't build them today) even
though prohibiting such use is a violation of the law.

..