Old April 17th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Newbie ?:Are Kaito radios any good?

On Apr 16, 7:12*am, Cato wrote:
On Apr 16, 8:00*am, junius wrote:

On Apr 15, 9:32*am, Hacienda de Ville ferrante276-

wrote:
Friends,
* I have been looking around for different radios. I sort of like this
one. Anyone know anything about it:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0550.html

Thanks,
Haci

The Grundig YB 550 is identical to the Tecsun PL-230. *You can find a
review of the radio here at RadioIntel.com.http://www.radiointel.com/review-tecsunpl230.htm

As others here have mentioned, the KA1103 is supposed to be a worthy
performer. * Costs more but you might give it a look.

* The Kaito KA1103 has terrible ergonomics including a fake "looks
cool" analog screen that takes up room that could have gone to a
common sense control layout. *(volume control is weird for example.)

* *They redesigned it and sold the design to Grundig/Eton.
* *The improved radio came out as the Grundig G5 *ands Eton E5. I
bought one and it's a great radio. But the 1103/G5/E5 size is too big
for my backpacking trips.
* *Price has dropped quite a bit and it can be had for less then $100
at some places. Much better ergonomics, common sense controls. Rumours
of a slight increase of sensitivity over the 1103.- Hide quoted text -

Cato,

Interesting "Info" on the Kaito KA 1103 Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0028.html

to Grundig G5 / Eton E5 Radios
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3005.html

evolution in Ergonomics and Performance.

~ RHF