Old April 17th 08, 12:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
William Sommerwerck[_2_] William Sommerwerck[_2_] is offline

Default A bit un-p.c. these days.

Many of our old radios were built by women. Look at the photos
of assembly lines in old radio magazines.

And these are radios with miswiring, poor solder joints, etc.

I think the reason women do this sort of work is that they have a patience
for it that men lack. And it's being highly skilled labor, so women -- who
have traditionally been paid less -- are hired to do it.

When I worked for Bendix Field Engineering, there was a group of women who
assembled electronic equipment for NASA STDN. They had to take a course in
reliable soldering. I wish I had taken it, but I don't think it was offered
to engineers.