Old April 17th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default 1/4 Wave on 28.500MHz

Barrett wrote:
Just went out to get things ready to try the Ariel's out tomorrow and it
occurred to me that the 20ft pole is resting on the patio. To make this
work, would I need to lift the pole off the floor and would 1ft be enough?

Depends on whether the patio is conductive or not.
Probably best to rest the base on an insulator.
Also be aware that, at 100 watts, there will be
hundreds, if not thousands of volts present at
the base of the pole. I once keyed down while
a cat was standing on one of my radials. Not
sure where it went, but it might have gone
into orbit. Have you considered sleeving the
pole inside PVC pipe for safety reasons?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com