Old April 17th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini Joe Analssandrini is offline

Default Newbie ?:Are Kaito radios any good?

Dear Cato,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is still Made in Japan - and to a very high
construction standard too, not even to mention its excellent
performance. It can still be purchased new for $150.00 or less.

Best,

Joe

On Apr 16, 10:29 am, Cato wrote:

... you will have a terrible time
trying to find less expensive new shortwave radios that aren't made or
at least assembled in China these days,,,
You have to be willing to shell out some big bucks for pricey
exotic professional class radios to get radios that are not made in
China.
Those kind of radios are not any good for traveling or backpacking.
And they are out of the range of those of us who don't have lots to
spend on radios.
Even Sony stuff is made or assembled in China now.

Turns out that many of us are stuck.... having to buy a radio from
Commie China if we want a radio.... I wish it wasn't that way.,...

The Kaito radios I have seem to be very good radios... I use
batteries, not the wall wart....not worried about a fire. My KA1102
seems to be at least as good as my older Sony ICF 7600D (ICF2002) that
was built in Japan.
(when I was a kid the expression.. "Made in Japan" was an insult.
Japan used to have a reputation of making cheap junk)

I don't like the fact that I can't buy a good European or North
American or Japanese made radio unless it is an older used one.
Much rather buy from those sources then from a communist
country...not a lot of choice any more.,...

Even a company like Grundig or Eton.... all their radios are made
in China now...